Helping you stay safe before, during and after the storm
LIVING IN THE LOWCOUNTRY, we know that dangerous storms can occur at any time, especially during hurricane season. As we head into the heart of the 2019 hurricane season, you can take comfort in knowing that Palmetto Electric is hoping for the best, but always preparing for the worst.
At Palmetto Electric, we work hard every day to make sure we are prepared for these storms, as well as any power outages that may occur. We also do our best to help you, our members, get prepared and stay informed.
If a storm does strike our area and outages occur, we provide updates through local radio or TV stations, including the official emergency stations listed below. We also post regularly on our social media accounts, so be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.
A complete list of storm safety information can be found here, online at palmetto.coop. Here are some of the most helpful tips to ensure that you and your family stay as safe as possible this hurricane season:
• Have an emergency plan in place: In case of evacuation, fill your gas tank and withdraw cash from automatic teller machines. Make arrangements for your pets and be sure your entire family is aware of your evacuation plan.
• Prepare your home: Check if trees and shrubs need trimming or cutting. Prepare to cover all windows of your home. Use shutters or precut plywood.
• Have an emergency supply kit ready: Bottled water, non-perishable food items and ﬂashlights with extra batteries are just a few items you will need. Refer to the American Red Cross website, redcross.org, for more tips on what to include in your kit.
• Charge your phone: We are all dependent on our cell phones these days, so keep them charged. Don’t forget to pack backup chargers and connectors, should you need to evacuate.
• Keep a list of contact information: Emergency management services, county law enforcement, local fire/rescue and utility providers (like Palmetto Electric) are good to have on hand. To report power outages, call PowerTouch at 1-866-445-5551, or log on to MyEnergy Online, either at palmetto.coop or with the mobile app. Stay tuned to local TV and radio stations, as well as our social media accounts, for developing information.
• If you evacuate, do not return home until the area is declared safe: Stay clear of fallen utility lines and avoid tree limbs and debris that could hide fallen lines. If you see a downed line, call 1-800-922-5551 or 911 immediately.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during outages that may occur due to these storms. Have no doubt, we will do whatever it takes to get your lights back on as quickly and safely as possible.