Electricity is a powerful form of energy. While it makes living and working around the home easy, safe and fun, it can also be dangerous if used carelessly. That’s why it is important to know the rules of electric safety.
- Do not poke things into electrical outlets, toasters or any other appliances, on or off. The only thing that is supposed to go there is an electric plug with an undamaged cord.
- Electricity and water do not mix. When you’re wet, do not touch or use electrical appliances. Keep all radios, hairdryers and other appliances away from the sink and bathtub. Never use water on an electrical fire!
- Check cords for fraying or cracking.
- Keep a ready-to-use multipurpose fire extinguisher and a first-aid kit in your home at all times.
- Do not climb in a tree if power lines pass through or near it. Even tree branches can conduct electricity!
- Call 811 before digging to locate any underground utility lines.
- Fly kites in open fields—not around power lines. Electricity can travel down kite strings or wires. Never fly kites or balloons near any power lines.
- Never climb transmission towers or touch, climb or play on any electrical equipment you see in your neighborhood. The electricity carried through this equipment is extremely high voltage; getting an electric shock could kill you. If toys are caught in electrical equipment, leave them and find an adult to help. Call Palmetto Electric to have the item retrieved.
- Downed power lines are big trouble for kids. Always assume that any power line is fully charged and is not turned off. Stay well away and call your local Palmetto Electric office.
If you have a portable generator, it should be isolated from our lines, or be equipped with a properly installed double-throw switch installed by a licensed electrician. Generators that are not isolated or installed improperly can feed back in to our lines and possibly electrocute anyone coming in contact with those wires, including you, your children, neighbors, our line personnel, pets, or livestock.
If you plan to use a portable generator, here are some important safety precautions:
- If you have any doubts about how to properly use a portable electric generator, contact the manufacturer or a licensed electrician for assistance.
- Locate your generator in a well-ventilated area. Never run it inside, even in your garage. Gasoline-powered generators produce carbon monoxide and the fumes can be deadly.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator using heavy-duty, properly grounded extension cords. Make sure that extension cords are not frayed or worn. Do not connect your power generator directly to your home’s main fuse box or circuit panel. Limit the number of appliances you use to no more than the recommended wattage of the generator.
- Read all instructions carefully and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Use the generator only when necessary, and don’t overload it. Turn it off at night while you sleep and when you are away from home to avoid possible fire hazard.
What Should I Do If I See A Downed Line?
It is important to stay away from any downed lines. Please do not try to remove any debris tangled in power lines, even if you think the line is dead. To report a power outage or downed lines, call one of the following district offices:
Hilton Head 843-681-5551
New River 843-208-5551