DURING HURRICANE SEASON, Palmetto Electric Cooperative shares the following tips to help you and your family weather the storm:
- Have an emergency supply kit handy. The American Red Cross (RedCross.org) offers a good list of what to include.
- Fill your gas tank and withdraw cash from ATMs.
- Check if shrubs, trees or weak limbs need trimming or cutting. Be careful working near power lines.
- Prepare to cover all windows of your home. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
- Evacuate, if told to do so.
- Avoid using corded telephones and water sources (shower, sink and bathtub) as lightning can enter a home through lines and plumbing.
- Disconnect electronic equipment to avoid electronic surges.
- Be aware of the calm during the hurricane “eye.” Once the eye passes over, high winds will resume.
- Minimize opening freezers and refrigerators to keep food safe longer.
- Stay clear of fallen utility lines and avoid tree limbs and debris that could hide fallen lines. If you see a line down call 1-800-922-5551 or 911 immediately.
- Disconnect appliances that may turn on automatically when power is restored.
- During cleanup, do not pile debris near utility poles or other facilities.
Should outages occur, rest assured that Palmetto Electric’s crews will be on the job ASAP. Stay safe!