Don’t Overload Wiring or Outlets!
Signs of overloaded wiring include:
- Frequently blown fuses
- Tripped breaker switches
- Appliances heat up too slowly
Note: Older homes were not wired for today’s increased demand. Have your home’s wiring periodically checked by professionals.
Individual electrical outlets are designed to carry a limited amount of electricity, so remember:
- Plugging too many electrical devices into one outlet can cause a fire by overloading the outlet.
- Safety devices, such as fuse boxes and circuit breakers, help protect you by providing a warning of overloading.
If you think your wiring needs updating, deal only with licensed electrical contractors!
Be Careful With Cords, Plugs, And Equipment
Attention to small things can prevent big problems later. Some simple safety practices:
- Grasp the plug, not the cord, when unplugging.
- Always replace a blown fuse with the same size fuse.
- Replace any broken or missing wall plates.
- Put safety covers on unused outlets that are within reach of children.
- Keep power cords clean to prevent the insulation from deteriorating.
- Don’t use extension cords as permanent household wiring.
- Rely on Underwriters Laboratories (UL) certified equipment.
Check for the following danger signs or hazards:
- Frayed wires
- Cracked or damaged insulation
- Three-pronged (grounded) plugs altered to fit two-pronged outlets or extension cords
- Power tools and lawn accessories plugged in when not in use
- Warm electrical cords or light switches
- Loose electrical outlet receptacles
- Any feeling of electrical shock when touching appliances
When using electricity outdoors, use only three-conductor grounded power cords and plugs designed for outdoor use and connected to a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) breaker.
Protect Your Electronic Appliances
Power surges, caused by interruptions or changes in the flow of electricity can seriously damage your valuable electronic equipment. Of course, a surge protector is no match for a direct strike from lightning, but it can protect devices from indirect lightning and damage from small surges. We make Surge Guard® surge protectors available to help protect your equipment from hundreds of dollars in damage.
Have Respect For Power Lines
Be extremely careful to avoid working within 10 feet of power lines. Do NOT attempt to cut trees off of power lines; this is a task for trained professionals.
Keep all items at least 10 feet below overhead power lines, including:
- Boat antennas, sail masts or fishing poles
- Pool-cleaning equipment
And remember these life-saving tips:
- Stay away from a downed power line and immediately inform the Cooperative.
- Before you dig, call Palmetto Utility Protection Services: 1-800-922-0983 for underground line locations.
- Don’t attach signs or notices to power poles.
- Do not plant trees or shrubbery or put any obstructions within 10 feet of green transformer boxes or beneath overhead lines.
Water + Electricity = Danger
- If an appliance falls in the water, do not touch it. UNPLUG IT. Even appliances that are turned off can shock you.
- Keep appliances with cords away from sinks and bathtubs.
- If you have a swimming pool, make sure that no overhead wiring passes over the pool and is safely routed away from the pool area.
- If an outlet is located outdoors or near water, it should be a GFCI.
In The Case Of An Accident
If a person has been shocked, do not attempt to move them. Turn off the main source of power and call 911. Be positive that the victim is no longer in contact with the source of power before touching them. If the victim is not breathing or their heart has stopped, begin rescue breathing or CPR.